Monday, March 16, 2009

Monday Mom Stuff – What is St. Patrick’s Day?

luck-frame-300

Several times I’ve been asked by in my In-Laws what exactly is St. Patrick’s Day is.  The first year I was a bit lost as to what to reply.  I knew some vague story about a guy (Saint Patrick), snakes and Ireland, but in all actuality, it really meant wearing green, eating green and adults drinking green.  My great grandparents on my mother’s side moved to America from Ireland shortly before 1905.  So this is something I should know. Many times growing up I was told that I had “the map of Ireland” on my face.  It wasn’t until I was older that I figured out that it meant I looked Irish.

St. Patrick's Day is a national holiday and feast in Ireland celebrated in March 17th. This day celebrates the patron saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick.  He lived around 385 to 461 AD.

Saint Patrick was credited with banishing snakes from Ireland.  It’s said that Ireland never had any snakes to begin with.  Nevertheless, Saint Patrick also helped teach many Irish people about religion and is remembered for converting many people to Christianity.

To read more about Saint Patrick and his day, visit Wikipedia’s article. Above Image Courtesy of LeeHansen.com.

Also visit:

DLTK’s Printable Worksheets for Saint Patrick’s Day.

No comments: